9.30.2008

September Song

As the song goes, "Oh, it's a long, long while From May to December But the days grow short, When you reach September." September flew by and here we sit on the day before October.
We have had a jammed packed month!
First was Labor Day which Sean and I spent at Carolina Beach. It was a much needed vacation and we had perfect weather for it - even though Hurricane Gustav sat somewhere out in the Atlantic.

Second came my 10 year high school reunion. This weekend was full of rain and kept us away from the football game Friday night. But we headed to the local bowling alley and enjoyed ourselves. It is always so good to see friends you haven't seen in awhile. And real friendships are so great because no matter how long its been you can just pick up where you left off like no time has passed at all. Saturday night was the big party. A bunch of us met up at Jaclyn's parents house and hung out before we headed out. We took excellent "prom" pictures on the grand staircase with our "dates". Overall it was an awesome weekend that brought back all those wonderful memories from high school. Even the not-so-great memories seem funny now that we are all "grown up". So many of my friends I have known since elementary school and I am just blessed to have such amazing friends that I can laugh with and know will always be there for me.

Also during September, we were privileged to go to the Annual UNC College of Nursing Alumni awards banquet where Becky (Sean's mom) was receiving an award for her exceptional community services. She works in many different facets but I guess the most noted one would be the free clinic that she runs up in Jackson county. I am probably not doing all the work she does justice, but we are very proud of her and are glad we got to attend. It was also nice to see other family members that were able to join her and Dick. Gramma Lib, Johanna & Debbie made the trip and we got to visit at dinner and catch up on some of the haps in Sylva and Rutherfordton.

This past weekend I spent up in the mountains with the women of my family. We haven't come up with an official name, but for now we will call it "Cousin's weekend". We had a group of 9 this year and 3 generations. Mama Jean (my grandmother), Aunt Jenny (my great-aunt), Teresa, Ann, & Karen (my mom's 1st cousins), Ginger (my 1st cousin & Ann's daughter), Aunt Cathy (my aunt & my mom's sis-in-law), my mom & me. There was lots of reminiscing and story telling. We had Mama Jean laughing so hard she was crying. A treat from the middle generations childhood was found at the Mast General Store - Fizzies. For those of you like me that don't know what fizzies are just think flavored alkaselzer tablets - things were rough back then :).

During this same time, Sean was at a bachelor party for his(our) good friend Chris Bushnell. They went to Busch Gardens and then enjoyed the evening out near William and Mary. Though I am not privy to all that they did - it sounds like they had a really fun time.

So all that and throw in a track event, a football game and a charity gala and you have a busy month. October is going to be just as crazy - with 2 weddings (one being Chris and Hayley's), 2 football games, our family beach trip and Sean's PE exam. I'm exhausted just thinking about it! But we can't complain because we live a very full life - filled with wonderful friends, family and fun.

No comments: